Westminster’s Commitment To Nurturing Its Children Through Christian Education
Sunday school classes continued to be crowded when the new facilities opened. The church purchased the Gray house which was directly behind the church to use as classrooms for the Church School. It was quickly filled with classes and the church conducted another campaign to raise funds for a new educational building.
When the Gray house behind the church was purchased in 1954, it became known as the Church House.
The Senior Class Room in the Gray house was often cold during the winter months.
Sunday school classes gathered on the steps of the Church House.
In 1957, the church launched another campaign to build an educational building. “The hope of the Westminster Presbyterian Church lies through its Church School,” the campaign brochure told members.
A congregational dinner was held to kick off the campaign.
A map of the church property showed where the new Kindergarten Building was located.
Architect H. Clinton Parent and his wife, Mary, stood outside the Kindergarten Building before it was completed.
Westminster School met an important need in the community because no programs existed at the time for children with learning disabilities. The Westminster School began with two teachers who provided individualized instruction for an enrollment of 11 students.