Moore Memorial Presbyterian Church
In 1872, a site on Broad Street near the Sunday School location on McGavock was purchased. Ground was broken for the new church. Moore Memorial, which was completed in 1874. Considerable financial help had been provided by the First Presbyterian Church. The first pastor of the new congregation was Rev. Frank D. Moore, son of Dr. Moore. In the early 1880s, a furnace was installed and in 1885, a series of very successful revival services were held. In 1890, the church organized a mission in another part of the city which led to the establishment of a new church, Glen Leven. The congregation purchased an organ in 1892, and was honored two years later by hosting the General Assembly for the Presbyterian Church in the United States. During the 1890s the Church helped establishing St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, an African-American congregation. The membership and finances of Moore Memorial continued to increase and new programs and activities flourished.
The handsome Victorian structure for Moore Memorial was designed by W.K. Dobson, a local architect. The women of the congregation raised money to provide pews. A bell was given to the church by Adelicia Acklen Cheatham. The Union and American reported that the total cost of the new building was $26,500. The entire amount had been paid when the building was dedicated on March 22, 1874.
Moore Memorial young people joined others in the Nashville Presbytery for a retreat at Bon Aqua.
This photo of the women of Moore Memorial was made in the assembly room of the Sunday School.
The pipe organ became the centerpiece of the sanctuary.
The building committee gave regular reports to the First Church congregation.
The Moore Memorial ladies published “A Housekeepers’ Manual” as a fundraiser for the new church.
The Young Men’s Bible Class, forerunner of the Good Samaritan Class, was taught by Henry Goodpasture. This 1935 photo was made outside Moore Memorial. Henry Goodpasture is in the lower left.