The Westminster Session adopts new rules to provide for 25 elders and 42 deacons. The Book of Order specified that any male member was eligible to be elected as an elder or deacon. Since The Book of Order did not restrict women from serving on a church’s nominating committee, the elders elected two women to the committee.
The Westminster Session votes to welcome African Americans who want to worship with the congregation, as a result of the U.S. Supreme Court’s landmark decision in the case of Brown v. Education of Topeka.
Westminster purchases the Gray property behind church and holds Sunday School classes in the house on the property.
|March 13, 1955
The Harwell Chapel is dedicated.
Thomas H. Webber, Jr. becomes Westminster’s first Minister of Music.
|November 16, 1958
Dedication of Westminster’s pipe organ.
Organist Thomas H. Webber, Jr. designed Westminster’s new pipe organ which was installed in 1958. Webber, regarded as one of the top ten organists in the U.S., was also a noted designer. Webber was Westminster’s first minister of music. The Memorial Fund for the new organ was begun in 1950.
The children’s education building is completed and dedicated (currently the building behind the sanctuary and parallel to the parlor).
|May 13, 1962
The church library is dedicated with Janie Alford, teacher of the Lydian Bible Class, serving as its first volunteer librarian.
Daniel Patrick McGeachy, III, pastor
Martha Overholser is elected as Westminster’s first woman elder.
The Westminster Individualized Teaching Center is organized to serve children with learning disabilities (renamed Westminster School and accredited school for students from kindergarten through 8th grade by 1978).
Pansy Duke becomes Westminster’s first Director of Youth Ministries.