William Murdoch MacLeod, pastor
Katherine Reed is appointed as Moore Memorial’s first Director of Christian Education.Moore.
3900 West End Avenue property is purchased for the new church.
|March 7, 1937
The congregation votes to name the church “Westminster Presbyterian Church.”
|October 23, 1937
Westminster breaks ground for the new church, with one surviving charter member of Moore Memorial present.
|April 7, 1938
On Easter Sunday, the cornerstone is laid for Westminster.
|September 3, 1939
The last service is held at Moore Memorial.
|September 10, 1939
The first worship service is held in the new sanctuary of Westminster (a private residence at 3810 West End Avenue is rented for Sunday School classes).
Westminster was built at a cost of approximately $125,000. All of this was paid before the congregation began to use the building in 1939. National Life and Accident Insurance Company held a mortgage of $20,000 which was to be paid over the next twenty years. The congregation decided to pay off its indebtedness and held this service of dedication when the debt was paid in 1945.
Westminster Presbyterian church membership grows to more than 1,100 members (the sanctuary was built to seat 600).